Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 Year End Blade 'Awards'

I say 'Awards' because I don't think anything is actually given to any of the winners, but being recognized by your peers is always something worth noting... unless the M//B guys had you on their list, then you may not be writing home about it.

Here is what the other guys had to say:
ONE Mag: http://www.oneblademag.com/spotlight/one-blade-awards-2013/
Balder Digest: http://bladeordie.com/?p=2364
Mushroom Blading: http://mushroomblading.com/articles/bestofblade2013.php

And I might as well kick in my useless two cents while we're at it.

Company of the Year: USD



What can I say about USD? In the past year(s) they have become a POWERHOUSE in the blading scene. They basically assembled the Avengers of rollerblading, and then gave them all some of the sickest looking skates on the market. The feel might not be for everyone, but the style can't be denied. I am actually making the move to Frees myself... those Eislers are just too damn sexy to pass up.

Also, I have never seen/heard more random compliments on skates than I have of the 2 new Franky boots. Kids stop my buddies during sessions to check out the skates, and that is not a bad thing for the scene at all.

Now y'all just need to give us a sick team video, not just another edit! Get on that...

Runner Up: Valo

Edit of the Year: CJ. Wellsmore Pro Model by SEBA from SEBASKATES

CJ.Wellsmore Pro Model By SEBA from SEBASKATES on Vimeo.


The late entry into the 2013 edit pool, this thing just blew me away (which is common for CJs skating). When I was finished watching this one, I thought to myself "He just showed all aspects of skating... " It just felt complete.

I also love Dom's edits. Ever since watching Vine St. for the first time, I've been a big fan of how he portrays skating and the beautiful Australian backdrop. Makes me want to pack up and move down under every time...

Runner Up: Billy O'Neill SSM

Trick of the Year: Billy O'Neill -- LA Convention Center: Gap over rail to Soul the Ledge (@ 0:43)

Billy O'Neill SSM from Brian Shima on Vimeo.


So this trick... this trick almost made this my edit of the year single-handedly... It's just ridiculous. I've been to this spot, I've stood there and thought to myself, "HOW?"

It's not the first time I did that after visiting a spot I've seen skated by some of the best, but this one just went to another level for me.

Runner Up: Richie Eisler -- Highspeed Backside in Vancouver

Skater of the Year: Franky Morales

Franky may not be touring the globe, or tearing up comps, but you can't deny that he dominated the edit game in 2013. It seemed like every week we had a new Franky park edit, followed quickly by an equally skilled street edit just a few days later... dude was on fire!

Also, as I mentioned earlier, his skates are art. Yeah, you can say that he just jacked a design he liked and dropped it on his skates, but if it's really that simple and the outcome is this successful, then why haven't companies jumped on this trend years ago... I have been sick of "new color technology" for some time now, and the new USDs are breaking that mold.

If you need more convincing, just watch these... dude could have basically made his own feature DVD and sold that, probably should have, I'd buy it.

Franky Morales - 1 Day in LB from TheConferenceTV on Vimeo.

Franky Morales - USD Fall 2013 from TheConferenceTV on Vimeo.

Franky Morales Avocado Skatepark Edit from TheConferenceTV on Vimeo.

Franky Morales USD Summer 2013 from TheConferenceTV on Vimeo.

Franky Morales hits the streets of Cali - 2013 from TheConferenceTV on Vimeo.

Runner Up: Alex Broskow

No comments:

Post a Comment


shutupandskate

EMAGDNIM

EMAGDNIM

Chris Farmer Profile Section from the Video WORDS

ONE Blade Mag

ONE rollerblading magazine

Razors

R A Z O R S

Street Artist Urethane

TheConference News