Friday, September 16, 2011

Skates that fit, from a size 8 perspective (by John Olson, Jr.)

This is a subject I wonder about constantly.
Shell sizing.
We all know its done to save the manufacturers some cash, and I get that. But when you’re the smaller size, this can be very detrimental to your blading.
I’ll use myself as the for instance. I like a lot of the styles of skates available. However, my feet do not. I just recently tried UFS thrones again, and love how they skate, but i don’t love the blisters i get from my feet sliding around in them. The width is perfect. The length is not, creating a constant rub issue on the sides of my feet, which leaves nasty blisters. This isn’t the first time I’ve had this issue with skates either.
Single size shells are very expensive to produce, and i understand that the money just isn’t there for a real solution like that. Salomon, however, already gave the market a cheap and easy solution in “growth inserts”. Simple idea, easy to produce, and relatively cheap compared to individual shell sizing.
Hopefully more of this type of tech will be introduced, as the blisters one gets from incorrectly sized skates are more discouraging than the injuries you get from bad falls, in my opinion.
Anybody else have input they’d like to add? Feel free. Any ideas are appreciated. Don’t get me wrong, i love my Xsjados, and they always fit right, but i would like to enjoy other options at times.
John

No comments:

Post a Comment


shutupandskate

EMAGDNIM

EMAGDNIM

Chris Farmer Profile Section from the Video WORDS

ONE Blade Mag

ONE rollerblading magazine

Razors

R A Z O R S

Street Artist Urethane

TheConference News